Difference between Sea Salt and Table Salt

Salt has been used for thousands of years as a valuable product because of its ability to preserve and to season food.  Salt is also an essential mineral for aiding the human body to operate. Are sea salt and table salt the same? The answer to that question is no, sea salt and table salt are different to each other.  Sea salt and table salt mainly consists of sodium chloride but are extracted in different ways and their nutritional values are not the same. 

* Introduction to salt *

* Why does the human body need salt? *

The human body needs salt in order to function properly. Human bodies are made of approximately 75% of water but this water is not in
its true form without salt. Water in bodies has salt dissolved in it which helps a number of functions to operate within the body. Salt has an important role to play within human bodies as it is present in the cells and tissues. Salt helps muscles to contract, assists the transport of nutrients, aides the digestive system and helps in the conduct of nerve impulses.

Salt provides two elements – sodium and chloride, both of which are essential for mankind. Sodium and chloride are both elements that the
body cannot make for itself and must be supplied by food.

*An explanation between table salt and sea salt * 

* Table Salt *

The common table salt is obtained from salt deposits which are mined, heat and chemically treated. Due to the way table salt is processed,
all of the naturally occurring minerals are stripped other than sodium chloride. This makes it an unnatural substance as compared to sea salt, and contributes to blood pressure, heart and kidney diseases. Table salt consists of 99% of sodium chloride with anti-caking agents or additives added to make it free flowing and dry, making it easier to use.

* Sea Salt *

Sea salt is the unrefined salt that is obtained by purely evaporating the water from the sea. Once the sea water has been collected and
the water has been evaporated by the sun, all that remains is the salt, a natural product from the ocean. Sea salt is 98% sodium chloride and the remaining 2% is made up of naturally occurring minerals, depending on where the salt was originally harvested. Sea salt has a higher mineral content and contains important minerals like iron, sulphur and magnesium. Sea salts have more flavour than table salt due to the higher mineral content.

* The conclusion – the differences between sea salt and table salt *

Sea salt and table salt are nutritionally separate products simply by their processing methods. Table salt is a refined product as it has been processed more.  Table salt contains chemically treated sodium chloride. Sea salt is an unrefined and natural product as it has not been
processed industrially.  Although both table and sea salts consist of mainly sodium chloride, just by processing them by in different methods changes their consistency and their nutritional value, making them both very different products.

Source:

  1. Sea salt vs. table salt: What's the difference? – Mayo Clinic
  2. How to Get BPA Toxin Out of Your Life
  3. Sea Salt vs. Table Salt: Is There Actually a Difference? — We've Got …

Image Credit